Type of protected area - Where it is located
Typology: Integral Natural Reserve; established with D.P.G.R. Trentino-Alto Adige of 3 July 1968, n. 128.
Region: Trentino-Alto Adige
The Tre Cime del Monte Bondone integral nature reserve is located near the city of Trento, at an altitude ranging from 1,580 m of the Viote to 2,176 m of the Cornetto. It has an area of 185 hectares.
Tre Cime del Monte Bondone integral nature reserve (photo www.scienze.unitn.it)
In 1500 the territory of the current Reserve belonged, like the whole Bondone mountain (then called Monte Vason) to the Prince Bishop of Trento, who had reserved the exclusive right to hunt. Subsequently, as a thank you to the Bondone community, for having contributed to the construction of the Cathedral of Trento and the supply of firewood, the Bishop proceeded to subdivide the mountain and donating it gradually to the communities of Sopramonte, Sardagna, Garniga, Cavedine, Baselga di Bondone and Vigolo Baselga. In the nineteenth century, the Viote basin was transformed into meadows and prairies and cattle breeding began. The area later became an Austrian strategic base and saw the construction of the typical stone barracks that can still be admired today.
The Reserve occupies a valley of glacial origin that reaches the three peaks from the Viote plain: the Doss dAbramo (2,140 m), the Cornetto (2,176 m) and the Cima Verde (2,102 m). The basin consists of a substrate of sedimentary rocks (calcareous marls and marly schists) covered by abundant moraine deposits of glacial origin. Higher up, on the Three Peaks, white and red limestone from the Jurassic period and clayey from the Cretaceous, rich in fossils, prevail. In the protected area, three streams flow: the Rio Val Magna, which descending downstream takes the name of Roggia di Garniga, the Roggia di Sopramonte and the Roggia dei Molini, which flow into the Vela torrent.
The forest surface is represented by irregular and contemporary spruce trees, largely artificial. In recent years, thanks to a naturalistic management of the forest, which has supplanted the outdated monoculture one, the spruce forests are slowly converting into uneven and mixed populations with the presence of larch, white fir and Swiss stone pine. In Val Magna and in Pozze there are natural spruce and larch trees, some white fir, beech and rowan interrupted here and there by meadows. In the upper part of the reserve, the lilies of the valley take over with a few scattered specimens of larch. The most characteristic aspect of the vegetation cover of the Reserve is certainly represented by the herbaceous flora: there are insubric endemisms such as Paederota bonarota, Geranium argenteum, Physoplexis comosa together with other important species such as Paeonia officinalis, Anemone alpina and A. montana and many others .
The highest part of the Reserve is occasionally frequented by roe deer, who however prefer the Viote basin where they find food in abundance; the presence of chamois has been reported among the rocks of the Three Peaks. The bird species include the capercaillie, the black grouse, the imperial crow, the alpine chough and the golden eagle.
Botanical garden and peat bog
The alpine botanical garden of the Viote di Monte Bondone, founded in 1938, on an area of only 1,200 square meters, houses over two thousand species of plants and flowers from the main mountain ranges in the world. It is one of the most important botanical gardens in the Alps and is enriched with comprehensive information boards and identification tags.
Not far away, located at 1,550 meters above sea level, the peat bog of the Viote (about 20 hectares), called Palù di Bondone. It is a typical example of a flat acid peat bog in the Alps with a predominant presence of cyperaceae and grasses and occasional Primula farinosa, Drosera rotundifolia, Menyanthes trifoliata, etc. The Roggia del Monte Bondone originates from this wetland. At the beginning of the twentieth century the peat bog was cultivated: the extracted peat, used as fuel, was transported to Mattarello (7 km from Trento) and to the Adige Valley by means of a funicular. As evidence of this ancient exploitation, presumably ended around 1915, there are two large and deep trenches and a series of excavations that interrupt the surface of the peat bog.
Information for the visit
From the east for the S.P. 85 which goes up from Trento to Vaneze-Vason; from the southeast by the S.P. which starts from Aldeno for Garniga, from the west to S.P. 200 from Lasino to Lagolo-Viote.
Parks and State Forests Service of the Autonomous Province of Trento
North Business Center - Via Trener, 3
Tel. 0461 495833